PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RULES AND REGULATIONS CAREFULLY.
It is the responsibility of the studio to uphold all rules and regulations stated below. Failure to comply could result in deductions to your final mark and/or disqualification.
- Entries will be accepted through our online registration system.
- Any entries that are not submitted via online registration will be subject to a 10% registration fee.
- Please mail full payment via cheque or money order payable to Purpose Dance Competition Inc. No post-dated cheques please. All outstanding balances from schedule changes must be paid onsite via cash, certified cheque or credit card before performing.
- Producers maintain the right to deduct additional registration fees from studio awards cheque for any dancers within a routine that have not registered prior to their performance. In the event that an awards cheque is not applicable, an invoice for the outstanding fees will be presented onsite. Any outstanding balance from the aforementioned findings must be paid onsite before the end of the weekend via cash or credit card.
- Entries are on a first come first served basis. We will not over book. All entries and payments are due by January 1st. Any entries and payments submitted after this date are subject to a 10% late fee. A $35.00 service charge will be applied for any NSF cheques. HST is included in fee amounts and are quoted in Canadian currency.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to refuse individual or studio entries at their discretion, in which fees will be refunded. Refunds will not be made for any reason including injuries, even with a doctor’s note.
- All performers must be ready to perform one hour prior to the scheduled performance time. This rule will be strictly enforced in the event that the competition runs early.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to run their schedule up to one hour earlier than your scheduled performance time.
- Once the schedule has been sent to confirmed studios, any requests for changes must be submitted within 72 hours. Any changes made after the allotted 72 hours cannot be guaranteed.
- A tentative performance schedule will be sent out to all studios via email to confirm all entries are correct. A final schedule will follow shortly thereafter with all the necessary adjustments from the tentative schedule.
- In an effort to keep the Purpose Dance Competition event running on time, it is essential that all routine conflicts and changes be made BEFORE the final schedule is released. Any changes requested after the final schedule has been sent out will not be addressed until we are onsite. We will do our best to accommodate onsite changes but cannot be held responsible for how such changes will affect your results and schedule. Changes made to the schedule or entries after the final event schedule has been sent out affects all studios participating. We encourage you to please review your tentative schedule carefully and send in conflicts or changes as soon as possible to alleviate unnecessary complications.
- The same dancer(s) cannot compete more than once in the same age group and category in either Solo, Duet/Trio or group competition. This means dancers will never compete against themselves. Please move your entry up an age division or change discipline should this situation arise.
- Dancers may enter multiple solos in to the competition. Should a dancer have more than one solo, each solo must compete in a different category. Only the dancer’s highest marking solo will be considered for overalls.
- Independant entries are not accepted. Every dancer must have studio representation. Even WITH studio representation, a dancer can not enter a solo into the competition and be eligible for overall awards. A studio must enter a minimum of two groups at most Purpose Dance Competition events to be eligible for an overall award. (One day events are exempt from this rule. Further exemptions are at the discretion of the competition directors).
- Contestants are to be entered in the age category that applies to them as of December 31st.
- The age divisions of contestants in Duet/Trio and Group categories will be determined by average age. Add all ages of the performers and divide by the number of performers in the group. The birth dates and ages of all performers are required for the entries. Should any questions arise, the Directors of Purpose Dance Competition may request proof of age. Please have a copy of every student’s birth certificate at the competition.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to add/subtract days, move or cancel the competition due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Although Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will make every effort to resolve any unforeseen issues that may arise, Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will not issue refunds or be held responsible for sudden cancellation or time lost due to extreme weather, bomb threats, terrorism or any other extraneous circumstances.
- Please note you are not entered into the competition until full payment for all entries and/or service charges is received.
- When arriving at the competition, please pick up your teacher package at the music table.
- A USB key properly labelled with studio name MUST be turned in to Purpose Dance Competition staff a minimum of one hour prior to the start of the show on the FIRST day of the competition. Failure to turn in music at this time may result in disqualification of performance. All music must be in order of performance according to the final schedule. Please be sure to have iPod/iPad or laptop on hand for back up use if needed. Dance teachers and/or Studio Directors must have all back up copies on hand.
- Purpose Dance Competition does not run any events off of a CD player. Purpose Dance Competition is not responsible for any music that skips during a performance or if the wrong edited version is played.
- All routines are to report backstage to the Purpose Dance Competition Stage Manager, five numbers before they are scheduled to perform. All routines are also expected to perform in the order they are scheduled. If for any reason a routine must perform out of order, it must be performed before its scheduled adjudication. Please notify the announcer if you need to make a request for a HOLD. Purpose Dance Competition will do its best to accommodate fast changes however, there will be a limit to program changes and holds at the event.
- Any changes to the program needed for such things as costume changes or back-to-back numbers, must be communicated to the producers of Purpose Dance Competition prior to the final schedule. A routine will only be considered a quick change if there are less than 5 numbers between performances. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated to keep the competition running on time. The wrongful holding of numbers, not performing at the scheduled time and/or not checking in with the backstage manager may result in disqualification.
- Any other conflicts or changes noticed in the printed program upon arrival at the competition such as incorrect titles, categories, or misprinted names of performers, should be brought forth to the producers at the announcers table, or to the stage manager back stage.
- In the event that a dancer exits the stage prematurely, they will be given the opportunity to perform again for adjudication only. It is at the discretion of the Purpose Dance Competition Directors whether or not a dancer or dancers will “re-perform” in the event of a technical difficulty.
- Under no circumstances will videotaping or photography of any performance, in part or otherwise, be tolerated by Purpose Dance Competition. Photography is only permitted during award ceremonies. Videos and photos of all entries during performances will be available for purchase in the venue lobby. Venue security and/or Purpose Dance Competition Directors have the right to confiscate or delete any videos and photos taken of a performance, as well as confiscate memory cards or devices containing footage of a performance at Purpose Dance Competition. This is to protect the work of the choreographers as well as the security and safety of the dancers performing on stage.
- The producers of Purpose Dance Competition trust the professionalism of the teachers that enter our competition to have good judgment on what every performer presents on stage to our family audience. However, any entry in any class and category, displaying suggestive movements, costuming, or musical selections with lyrics inappropriate for the age of the performers or our family audience, will be scored lower and/or be disqualified.
- Any use of helium balloons, sword and knife display is strictly prohibited. Prop versions of these items are permitted. Under no circumstances are entries allowed to use theatre dwelling flats, lights or fly bars. Any substance that would affect the dancing surface such as liquid, gel, aerosol, food, glitter, sparkles, confetti, confetti canons, dirt, sand or paint is prohibited unless specifically approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors. Special pyrotechnics, smoke, water, fog, are not permitted unless approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors and/or venue technical staff. Special lighting requests cannot be provided unless approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors. Removal of Purpose logo during performances is not permitted. Substances used in routines which alter the condition of the stage or rehearsal room(s) without approval by Purpose Dance Competition Directors or venue staff can be subject to disqualification and/or a $50 fine being imposed if clean-up is required and an unnecessary delay in the competition occurs. This includes but is not limited to the use of an excessive amount of flowers, petals and feathers that require a lengthy clean up. To avoid disqualification and or fines, please contact us for approval and/ or to schedule the routine appropriately as to not delay the competition.
- For safety reasons, the use of baby powder or other assisting agents will not be tolerated at Purpose Dance Competition. Should Purpose Dance Competition staff see this happening students will be asked to clean stage and/or remove footwear. Rosin may be used, venue approval permitting.
- Circus routines must provide their own insurance at time of registration. Please contact us if you are unsure of this request.
- Any concerns or challenges regarding a routine can be brought to the attention of Purpose Dance Competition Directors by a studio director or teacher prior to the awards ceremony for that routine. Under no circumstances are Adjudicators to be approached by dancers, parents, studio directors and their staff during the competition.
- All decisions made by the Adjudicators and/or Purpose Dance Competition Directors are final.
- Judges scores, critiques and music must be picked up from the Purpose Dance Competition Directors following the competition. Any items left behind at the competition will not be available to be mailed out afterwards.
- Each studio will be designated a change room, space permitting. Please be advised that studios will be held responsible for any damage to venue change rooms. Studios may be required to share change rooms.
- All monetary awards will be given to the studio director/teacher representative by cheque only. It is at the studio director’s discretion how prize monetary is distributed in accordance with the studio policy.
Purpose Dance Competition Mobile Device, Photo, Video Use Policy
Out of respect for all of the children that attend Purpose Dance Competition events we have implemented the following policy:
Cell Phones and Other Mobile Devices. Cellular phones and other mobile devices may not be used in photographic or video mode in any change room, rest room, or other private area of the competition. Additionally, no calls may be placed or taken in the theatre/ballroom, or back stage. Please use common courtesy when using mobile devices in other areas of the competition.
Photography and Video. Professional photography and recording of video on the premises is not allowed without the permission of Purpose Dance Competition Producers. Personal photography is allowed in public areas of the competition only. You must have consent to photograph any other attendee, spectator or team member. No photography or cameras of any kind are allowed to be used in any change room, rest room, or other private area of the competition.
Purpose Dance Competition allows designated staff to take images of attendees and spectators for social media and other promotional purposes, including on stage during performance and awards ceremonies, back stage, warm up room, lobby, or anything within the event vicinity. By your continued participation in Purpose Dance Competition events, you irrevocably consent to and grant Purpose Dance Competition the exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free and otherwise unlimited right to use, copy, modify, distribute, publicly display and perform, publish, transmit, remove, retain, and re purpose the images for any purpose in any media or form of communication, without additional consent and without compensation, including but not limited to Purpose Dance Competition’s commercial and promotional use on its corporate or employee social media sites.
* Disqualification will only occur at the discretion of the competition directors.