UPDATED RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE 2023 COMPETITIVE SEASON COMING SOON…
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE 2022 COMPETITION SEASON
Please Note: The Directors of Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserve the right to update rules and regulations as required.
It is the responsibility of the studio to uphold all rules and regulations stated below. Failure to comply could result in deductions to your final mark and/ or disqualification.
Please refer to each event page regarding the proof of vaccination policy at the venue in which your studio is attending. Purpose Directors will notify all Studio Directors of any government mandate and/or venue policy changes, and will update our website accordingly. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- Entries will be accepted through our online registration system.
- Any entries that are not submitted via online registration will be subject to a 10% registration fee.
- Please mail full payment via cheque or money order payable to Purpose Dance Competition Inc. No post-dated cheques please. All outstanding balances from schedule changes must be paid onsite via cash, certified cheque or e-transfer.
- Purpose Dance Directors maintain the right to deduct monetary awards or issue an invoice for the outstanding fees, which will be presented and paid for on-site via cash or e-transfer only.
- Entries are on a first come first served basis. All entries and payments are due prior to the event start date (deadlines have been sent to participating Studio Directors). Any entries and payments submitted after the deadline dates are subject to a 10% late fee. A $35.00 service charge will be applied for any NSF cheques. HST is to be added to entry fee amounts, as indicated in the Studio Director Registration Guide, and are quoted in Canadian currency.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to refuse individual or studio entries at their discretion, in which fees will be refunded.
- Refunds/Credits: A NEW 2022 Refund/Credit policy has been sent to all participating Studio Directors.
- All performers must be ready to perform one hour prior to the scheduled performance time. This rule will be strictly enforced in the event that the competition runs early.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to run their schedule up to one hour earlier than your scheduled performance time.
- Once the pre-schedule has been sent to confirmed studios, any requests for changes must be submitted within the time frame provided. Any changes made after the allotted time cannot be guaranteed.
- A tentative performance schedule (pre-schedule) will be sent out to all studios via email to confirm all entries are correct. A final schedule will follow shortly thereafter with all the necessary adjustments from the tentative schedule.
- In an effort to keep the Purpose Dance Competition event running on time, it is essential that all routine conflicts and changes be made BEFORE the final schedule is released. Any changes requested after the final schedule has been sent out will not be addressed until we are on-site. We will do our best to accommodate on-site changes but cannot be held responsible for how such changes will affect your results and schedule. Changes made to the schedule or entries after the final event schedule has been sent out affects all studios participating. We encourage you to please review your tentative schedule carefully and send in conflicts or changes as soon as possible to alleviate unnecessary complications.
- Split Category Rule: The same dancer(s) cannot compete more than once in the same age and category. To accommodate any dancers who may be repeating their solo originally choreographed for the 2020 or 2021 competition season, and would like to also compete a newly choreographed solo in the same genre, Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will split categories. The categories will be broken up into A, B and so on to prevent any dancer from competing multiple times in the same category. The “Split Category Rule” will also apply to Duet/Trios and Groups when/if applicable.
- Only the dancer’s highest marking solo will be considered for overalls.
- Solos will not be bumped up into a different age category.
- Independent entries are not accepted. Every dancer must have studio representation. Even WITH studio representation, a dancer cannot enter a solo into the competition and be eligible for overall awards. A studio must enter a minimum of two groups at most Purpose Dance Competition events to be eligible for an overall award. (One day events are exempt from this rule. In light of circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, further exemptions can also occur at the discretion of the Competition Directors.)
- Contestants are to be entered in the age category that applies to them as of December 31st.
- The age divisions of contestants in Duet/Trio and Group categories will be determined by average age. Add all ages of the performers and divide by the number of performers in the group. The birth dates and ages of all performers are required for the entries. Should any questions arise, the Directors of Purpose Dance Competition may request proof of age. Please have a copy of every student’s birth certificate at the competition.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to add/subtract days, move/postpone or cancel the competition due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Although Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will make every effort to resolve any unforeseen issues that may arise, Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will not issue refunds or be held responsible for sudden cancellation or time lost due to extreme weather, fire, power outage, bomb threats, terrorism or any other extraneous circumstances.
- Please note, you are not entered into the competition until full payment for all entries and/or service charges is received.
- Upon arrival at the competition, a Studio Director package will be available for pick up.
- A USB key properly labelled with the studio name MUST be turned in to Purpose Dance Competition staff a minimum of one hour prior to the start of the show on the FIRST day of the competition OR 1 hour prior to the first scheduled performance from your studio. Failure to turn in music at this time may result in disqualification of performance. All music must be properly labelled with correct entry titles and in alphabetical order. In the event that a performance piece is not pre pitched on the USB, we cannot guarantee the pitch adjustment can be made during the show. Dance teachers and/or Studio Directors must have all backup copies on hand. An iPod/iPad/laptop can be used for back up music ONLY. Adapters (if needed) must be provided by the teacher as Purpose Dance Competition cannot guarantee compatibility from device to device.
- All routines are to report backstage to the Purpose Dance Stage Manager (by a teacher representative), approximately five numbers before they are scheduled to perform. All routines are also expected to perform in the order they are scheduled. If for any reason a routine must perform out of order, it must be performed before its scheduled adjudication. Please notify the announcer if you need to make a request for a HOLD. Purpose Dance Competition will do its best to accommodate fast changes; however, there will be a limit to program changes and holds at the event.
- Any changes to the program needed for such things as costume changes or back-to-back numbers, must be communicated to the Directors of Purpose Dance Competition prior to the final schedule. A routine will only be considered a quick change if there are less than five numbers between performances. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated to keep the competition running on time. The wrongful holding of numbers, not performing at the scheduled time and/or not checking in with the backstage manager may result in disqualification.
- Any other conflicts or changes noticed in the printed program upon arrival at the competition such as incorrect titles, categories, or misprinted names of performers, should be brought forth to the Directors at the announcers table, or to the stage manager backstage.
- In the event that a dancer exits the stage prematurely, they will be given the opportunity to perform again for adjudication only. It is at the discretion of the Purpose Dance Directors whether or not a dancer or dancers will “re-perform” in the event of a technical difficulty.
- Under no circumstances will videotaping or photography of any performance, in part or otherwise, be tolerated by Purpose Dance Competition. Photography is only permitted during award ceremonies when/if applicable. Full studio collection of videos and photos of all entries during performances will be distributed to Studio Directors within 2 weeks after the event. There will be no on-site or online photo/video sales. Venue security and/or Purpose Dance Directors have the right to confiscate or delete any videos and/or photos taken of a performance, as well as confiscate memory cards or devices containing footage of a performance at Purpose Dance Competition. This is to protect the work of the choreographers as well as the security and safety of the dancers performing on stage.
- Live streaming of all events will be made available via the Purpose website. Purpose Dance Competition is not responsible for any technical issues that may arise during streaming including loss of internet connection, etc. Please understand that event streaming is an added service that is being provided, and there is always a chance that technical issues can arise during a performance.
- The Directors of Purpose Dance Competition trust the professionalism of the teachers that enter our competition to have good judgment on what every performer presents on stage to our family audience. However, any entry in any class and category, displaying suggestive movements, costuming, or musical selections with lyrics inappropriate for the age of the performers or our family audience, will be scored lower and/or be disqualified.
- Any use of helium balloons, sword and knife display is strictly prohibited. Prop versions of these items are permitted. Under no circumstances are entries allowed to use theatre dwelling flats, lights or fly bars. Any substance that would affect the dancing surface such as liquid, gel, aerosol, food, glitter, sparkles, confetti, confetti canons, dirt, sand or paint is prohibited unless specifically approved by the Purpose Dance Directors. Special pyrotechnics, smoke, water, fog, are not permitted unless approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors and/or venue technical staff. Special lighting requests cannot be provided unless approved be Purpose Dance Competition Directors. Removal of the Purpose Dance Competition logo during performances is not permitted. Substances used in routines which alter the condition of the stage or rehearsal room(s) without approval by Purpose Dance Directors or venue staff can be subject to disqualification and/or a $50 fine being imposed if clean-up is required and an unnecessary delay in the competition occurs. This includes but is not limited to the use of an excessive amount of flowers, petals and feathers that require a lengthy clean up. To avoid disqualification and or fines, please contact us for approval and/ or to schedule the routine appropriately as to not delay the competition.
- 2022 Prop Policy: We appreciate all the studio prop volunteers; however, we suggest to prevent the use of large props and/or sets which require parents or additional patrons to build these items onstage or backstage. We cannot guarantee that the venue staff will allow ANY large props into the facility. Please keep props (if any) to small handheld items, which can be handled by the dancers. We ask that the Studio Directors email the Directors of Purpose Dance at firstname.lastname@example.org for further clarification as to how/if this requirement applies to the location your studio is attending. There will be no prop storage space guaranteed regardless of size of props.
- For safety reasons, the use of baby powder or other assisting agents will not be tolerated at Purpose Dance Competition. Should Purpose Dance Competition staff see this happening, students or teacher representatives will be asked to clean the stage and/or remove footwear. Rosin may be used, venue approval permitting.
- Circus routines must provide their own insurance at time of registration. Please contact us if you are unsure of this request.
- Any concerns or challenges regarding a routine can be brought to the attention of Purpose Dance Directors by a Studio Director or teacher prior to the awards ceremony for that routine. Under no circumstances are Adjudicators to be approached by dancers, parents, Studio Directors and their staff during the competition.
- All decisions made by the Adjudicators and/or Purpose Dance Competition Directors are final.
- Judges scores, critiques and music will be available for Studio Director pick up following the competition. Any items left behind at the competition will not be available to be mailed out afterwards.
- All monetary awards will be given to the Studio Director/teacher representative by cheque only. It is at the Studio Director’s discretion how monetary prizes are distributed in accordance with the studio policy.
- Please have your dancers dressed, with hair and makeup done, and ready in a costume for their first performance upon arrival. Arriving ready will allow for more usable space in change rooms and less congestion.
- We suggest that dancers do not use Rac’n Rolls as they take up usable space.
- We cannot guarantee that all change rooms will be at full capacity at all venues.
- MORE change room updates coming soon…
Purpose Dance Competition Mobile Device, Photo, Video Use Policy
Out of respect for all of the children that attend Purpose Dance Competition events, we have implemented the policy below.
Cell Phones and Other Mobile Devices: Cellular phones and other mobile devices may not be used in photographic or video mode in any change room, rest room, or other private area of the competition. Additionally, no calls may be placed or taken in the theatre/ballroom, or back stage. Please use common courtesy when using mobile devices in other areas of the competition.
Photography and Video: Professional photography and recording of video on the premises is not allowed without the permission of Purpose Dance Competition Directors. Personal photography is allowed in public areas of the competition only. You must have consent to photograph any other attendee, spectator or team member. No photography or cameras of any kind are allowed to be used in any change room, rest room, or other private area of the competition. Purpose Dance Competition allows designated staff to take images of attendees and spectators for social media and other promotional purposes, including on stage during performance and awards ceremonies, back stage, warm up room, lobby, or anything within the event vicinity. By your continued participation in Purpose Dance Competition events, you irrevocably consent to and grant Purpose Dance Competition the exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free and otherwise unlimited right to use, copy, modify, distribute, publicly display and perform, publish, transmit, remove, retain, and re purpose the images for any purpose in any media or form of communication, without additional consent and without compensation, including but not limited to Purpose Dance Competition’s commercial and promotional use on its corporate or employee social media sites.
* Disqualification will only occur at the discretion of the Competition Directors.