PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RULES AND REGULATIONS CAREFULLY.
NEW RULES & REGULATIONS FOR THE 2021 COMPETITION SEASON
Please note, the Producers of Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserve the right to update rules and regulations as required.
Please note, it is the responsibility of the studio to uphold all rules and regulations stated below. Failure to comply could result in deductions to your final mark and/or disqualification.
- Entries will be accepted through our online registration system.
- Any entries that are not submitted via online registration will be subject to a 10% registration fee.
- Please mail full payment via cheque or money order payable to Purpose Dance Competition Inc. No post-dated cheques please. All outstanding balances from schedule changes must be paid on-site via cash, certified cheque or credit card before performing.
- Producers maintain the right to deduct monetary awards or issue an invoice for the outstanding fees, which will be presented and paid for on-site via cash or e-transfer only.
- Entries are on a first come first served basis. All entries and payments are due 8 weeks or 56 days prior to the event start date. Any entries and payments submitted after this date are subject to a 10% late fee. A $35.00 service charge will be applied for any NSF cheques. HST is included in fee amounts (and indicated in the Studio Owner Information Package) and are quoted in Canadian currency.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to refuse individual or studio entries at their discretion, in which fees will be refunded.
- Refunds will not be made for any reason including injuries, even with a doctor’s note.
- NEW 2021 Covid-19 Refund Policy: If any Purpose Dance Competition Inc. event cannot run in any capacity due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will refund 100% of fees paid in 2021 for the 2021 event. Any credit that a studio has with Purpose Dance Competition from the 2020 season will remain as credit going into postponement dates. The decision with respect to whether an event can or cannot run will be based on the Government policies and regulations in place at the time of the event (if any). Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will notify all participating studios of any decisions relating to postponement up to 48 hours prior to the event start date as Government regulations are ever-changing, in which case the refund will apply. If it is less than 48 hours prior to the event start date OR if a Purpose Dance Competition Inc. event is running and Government regulations and policies change over the course of the event such that the event must be shut down, no refunds will be processed and Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will address the policy based on the circumstances of the particular event. If a Purpose Dance Competition Inc. event is postponed, any deposits collected for the 2021 event will be carried into postponement dates.
- All performers must be ready to perform one hour prior to the scheduled performance time. This rule will be strictly enforced in the event that the competition runs early.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to run their schedule up to one hour earlier than your scheduled performance time.
- Once the pre-schedule has been sent to confirmed studios, any requests for changes must be submitted within the time frame provided. Any changes made after the allotted time cannot be guaranteed.
- A tentative performance schedule (pre-schedule) will be sent out to all studios via email to confirm all entries are correct. A final schedule will follow shortly thereafter with all the necessary adjustments from the tentative schedule.
- In an effort to keep the Purpose Dance Competition event running on time, it is essential that all routine conflicts and changes be made BEFORE the final schedule is released. Any changes requested after the final schedule has been sent out will not be addressed until we are on-site. We will do our best to accommodate on-site changes but cannot be held responsible for how such changes will affect your results and schedule. Changes made to the schedule or entries after the final event schedule has been sent out affects all studios participating. We encourage you to please review your tentative schedule carefully and send in conflicts or changes as soon as possible to alleviate unnecessary complications.
- NEW 2021 Split Category Rule: The same dancer(s) cannot compete more than once in the same age and category. To accommodate any dancers who may be repeating their solo originally choreographed for the 2020 competition season and would like to also compete a newly choreographed solo in the same genre, Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will split categories. The categories will be broken up into A, B and so on to prevent any dancer from competing multiple times in the same category. The Split Category Rule will also apply to Duet/Trios and Groups when/if applicable.
- Only the dancers highest marking solo will be considered for overalls.
- Solos will not be bumped up into a different age category.
- Independant entries are not accepted. Every dancer must have studio representation. Even WITH studio representation, a dancer can not enter a solo into the competition and be eligible for overall awards. A studio must enter a minimum of two groups at most Purpose Dance Competition events to be eligible for an overall award. (One day events are exempt from this rule. Further exemptions can occur at the discretion of the Competition Directors).
- Contestants are to be entered in the age category that applies to them as of December 31st.
- The age divisions of contestants in Duet/Trio and Group categories will be determined by average age. Add all ages of the performers and divide by the number of performers in the group. The birth dates and ages of all performers are required for the entries. Should any questions arise, the Directors of Purpose Dance Competition may request proof of age. Please have a copy of every student’s birth certificate at the competition.
- Purpose Dance Competition Inc. reserves the right to add/subtract days, move or cancel the competition due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Although Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will make every effort to resolve any unforeseen issues that may arise, Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will not issue refunds or be held responsible for sudden cancellation or time lost due to extreme weather, fire, power outage, bomb threats, terrorism or any other extraneous circumstances.
- Please note you are not entered into the competition until full payment for all entries and/or service charges is received.
- See above for NEW 2021 Covid-19 Refund Policy.
- When arriving at the competition, a studio owner package will be available for pick-up.
- A USB key properly labelled with your studio name MUST be turned in to Purpose Dance Competition staff a minimum of one hour prior to the start of the show on the FIRST day of the competition. Failure to turn in music at this time may result in disqualification of performance. All music must be properly labelled with correct entry titles and in alphabetical order. In the event that a performance piece is not pre-pitched on the USB, we cannot guarantee the pitch adjustment can be made during the show. Dance teachers and/or Studio Directors must have all back up copies on hand. iPod/iPad/laptop can be used for back up music ONLY. Adapters (if needed) must be provided by the teacher as Purpose Dance Competition Inc. cannot guarantee compatibility from device to device.
- All routines are to report backstage to the Purpose Dance Competition Stage Manager (by a teacher representative), approximately five numbers before they are scheduled to perform. All routines are also expected to perform in the order they are scheduled. If for any reason a routine must perform out of order, it must be performed before its scheduled adjudication. Please notify the announcer if you need to make a request for a HOLD. Purpose Dance Competition Inc. will do its best to accommodate fast changes however, there will be a limit to program changes and holds at the event.
- Any changes to the program needed for such things as costume changes or back-to-back numbers, must be communicated to the producers of Purpose Dance Competition prior to the final schedule. A routine will only be considered a quick change if there are less than 5 numbers between performances. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated to keep the competition running on time. The wrongful holding of numbers, not performing at the scheduled time and/or not checking in with the backstage manager may result in disqualification.
- Any other conflicts or changes noticed in the printed program upon arrival at the competition such as incorrect titles, categories, or misprinted names of performers, should be brought forth to the producers at the announcers table, or to the stage manager back stage.
- In the event that a dancer exits the stage prematurely, they will be given the opportunity to perform again for adjudication only. It is at the discretion of the Purpose Dance Competition Directors whether or not a dancer or dancers will “re-perform” in the event of a technical difficulty.
- Under no circumstances will videotaping or photography of any performance, in part or otherwise, be tolerated by Purpose Dance Competition Inc. Photography is only permitted during award ceremonies when/if applicable. Full studio collection of photos and videos of all entries during performances will be distributed to Studio Directors within two weeks after the event. There will be no on-site or online photo/video sales.
- Venue security and/or Purpose Dance Competition Directors have the right to confiscate or delete any videos and/or photos taken of a performance, as well as confiscate memory cards or devices containing footage of a performance at Purpose Dance Competition. This is to protect the work of the choreographers as well as the security and safety of the dancers performing on stage.
- Live streaming of all events will be made available via www.purposedance.ca. Purpose Dance Competition Inc. is not responsible for any technical issues that may arise during streaming including loss of internet connection, etc. Please understand that event streaming is an added service that is being provided, and there is always a chance that technical issues can arise during a performance.
- The producers of Purpose Dance Competition trust the professionalism of the teachers that enter our competition to have good judgment on what every performer presents on stage to our family audience. However, any entry in any class and category, displaying suggestive movements, costuming, or musical selections with lyrics inappropriate for the age of the performers or our family audience, will be scored lower and/or be disqualified.
- Any use of helium balloons, sword and knife display is strictly prohibited. Prop versions of these items are permitted. Under no circumstances are entries allowed to use theatre dwelling flats, lights or fly bars. Any substance that would affect the dancing surface such as liquid, gel, aerosol, food, glitter, sparkles, confetti, confetti canons, dirt, sand or paint is prohibited unless specifically approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors. Special pyrotechnics, smoke, water, fog, are not permitted unless approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors and/or venue technical staff. Special lighting requests cannot be provided unless approved by Purpose Dance Competition Directors. Removal of Purpose logo during performances is not permitted. Substances used in routines which alter the condition of the stage or rehearsal room(s) without approval by Purpose Dance Competition Directors or venue staff can be subject to disqualification and/or a $50 fine being imposed if clean-up is required and an unnecessary delay in the competition occurs. This includes but is not limited to the use of an excessive amount of flowers, petals and feathers that require a lengthy clean up. To avoid disqualification and or fines, please contact us for approval and/or to schedule the routine appropriately as to not delay the competition.
- NEW 2021 Prop Policy: We love and appreciate all of the studio prop dads and volunteers however, for the health and safety of the dancers as well as the Purpose Dance Competition team and tech staff, we suggest to prevent the use of large props and/or sets which require parents or additional patrons to build these items on stage or backstage. Please keep props to small handheld items, which can be handled by the dancers. Please note, some venues will require that no large props enter the facility. We ask that studio owners email the producers direct at firstname.lastname@example.org for further clarification as to how/if this requirement applies to the location your studio is attending. There will be no prop storage space available regardless of size of props.
- For safety reasons, the use of baby powder or other assisting agents will not be tolerated at Purpose Dance Competition. Should Purpose Dance Competition staff see this happening students or teacher representatives will be asked to clean the stage and/or remove footwear. Rosin may be used, venue approval permitting.
- Circus routines must provide their own insurance at time of registration. Please contact us if you are unsure of this request.
- Any concerns or challenges regarding a routine can be brought to the attention of Purpose Dance Competition Directors by a studio director or teacher prior to the awards ceremony for that routine. Under no circumstances are Adjudicators to be approached by dancers, parents, studio directors and their staff during the competition.
- All decisions made by the Adjudicators and/or Purpose Dance Competition Directors are final.
- Judges scores, critiques and music will be available for Studio Director pick-up following the competition. Any items left behind at the competition will not be available to be mailed out afterwards.
- Updates on change rooms coming soon.
- All monetary awards will be given to the studio director/teacher representative by cheque only. It is at the studio director’s discretion how monetary prizes are distributed in accordance with the studio policy.
Purpose Dance Competition Mobile Device, Photo, Video Use Policy
Out of respect for all of the children that attend Purpose Dance Competition events we have implemented a NEW policy.
Cell Phones and Other Mobile Devices. Cellular phones and other mobile devices may not be used in photographic or video mode in any change room, rest room, or other private area of the competition. Additionally, no calls may be placed or taken in the theatre/ballroom, or back stage. Please use common courtesy when using mobile devices in other areas of the competition.
Photography and Video. Professional photography and recording of video on the premises is not allowed without the permission of Purpose Dance Competition Producers. Personal photography is allowed in public areas of the competition only. You must have consent to photograph any other attendee, spectator or team member. No photography or cameras of any kind are allowed to be used in any change room, rest room, or other private area of the competition. Purpose Dance Competition allows designated staff to take images of attendees and spectators for social media and other promotional purposes, including on stage during performance and awards ceremonies, back stage, warm up room, lobby, or anything within the event vicinity. By your continued participation in Purpose Dance Competition events, you irrevocably consent to and grant Purpose Dance Competition the exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free and otherwise unlimited right to use, copy, modify, distribute, publicly display and perform, publish, transmit, remove, retain, and re purpose the images for any purpose in any media or form of communication, without additional consent and without compensation, including but not limited to Purpose Dance Competition’s commercial and promotional use on its corporate or employee social media sites.
* Disqualification will only occur at the discretion of the competition directors.